Friday, August 23, 2013

The Beginning

So many people have been telling me to keep a journal of my student teaching experiences for middle school math. I am not one for hand writing things so, with much prodding (actually, not even that much; less than a minute of prodding) from a friend to start a blog with her on self-improvement and self-reflections, I decided to heed her advice and just do it. For the sake of my students, school, and program, I am going to try to keep it as anonymous as possible. Let's see how well I do. :)

----

As of 4:30pm today, I officially finished my second week at my internship. The students started school on Monday, and it took some work getting used to the schedules and the general workings of our school. I have never felt so much pain in my feet before--standing all day is exhausting! And dealing with kids... not a piece of cake. I've learned a lot in this past week, and most of it consisted of classroom management.

One case stands out in particular. Although I am a former FARMS student, I heed from a fairly affluent area (average income is probably medium-high), so I have never really seen poverty at its worse. Thus, I was not prepared to encounter a student who is currently homeless. And let's be honest, no matter how many hours of classes you've taken, they will probably not teach you how to deal with a student who is homeless.

So the past few days, I've just been thinking about this one student and her current situation. It's helped me to re-evaluate everything that I have, and everything that I've taken for granted--education included. The security that I felt in my school halls when I was in middle school... I'm not sure she has that. And the joy at the end of the day when I'm dismissed? I can't even begin to imagine how she feels every day as her friends chitchat about going home to watch TV (or something...), when all she has to look forward to is a hotel room that her parents can't afford. Other teachers have been having issues with her behavior in their classes, but honestly, I just want to make school a safe haven for her. For now, I'm just monitoring her situation, but as a sorta-teacher, I have never felt so powerless as an authority figure as I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment